What Conditions Does Prenatal Chiropractic Care Treat?
Studies have found that as many as 75 percent of women will experience lower back pain at some point during their pregnancy. It’s important to know that there is drug-free and safe relief from this pain for expecting women in Saginaw, MI. Prenatal chiropractic care is an effective treatment for many of the kinds of pain associated with pregnancy.
The Benefits of Seeing a Chiropractor while Pregnant
It may seem like aches and pains just come with the territory, but there are many conditions that can be treated by the right chiropractor. Many of the new discomforts of pregnancy come from changes in the body as well as hormonal shifts. The changes that affect the body include a change in center of gravity, a shifting pelvis, a protruding abdomen, and weight gain. All of these can have an effect on a person's spine and posture. Here are some of the specific conditions which chiropractic prenatal care can treat:
- Low-Back Pain: One of the most common ailments of pregnancy, this is caused by the change to the center of gravity as well as potential changes to the way a woman walks. The severity can range from mild to severe depending on activity level and work requirements.
- Round Ligament Pain: The round ligament connects the uterus to the abdominal wall. As the uterus grows, there can be associated pain with the round ligament.
- Sacroiliac Pain: Hormonal changes can create a laxness in the ligament. This can cause more strain on the surrounding muscles and ligaments. Sometimes this is mistaken for hip pain, but it is actually caused by these weight-bearing ligaments.
- Sciatic Nerve Pain: Pressure building up in the gluteal muscles and external rotators can cause pain and compression in the sciatic nerve. There may also be pressure here due to the baby's growth
- Pubic Symphysis Pain: Hormonal changes can lead to a relaxing of the ligaments supporting the pubic symphysis joint, this can lead to pain and even reduce mobility.
A chiropractor will likely recommend the Pro-Adjuster Technique during the pregnancy. This technique is especially popular for patients that are pregnant because it is safe for both mother and the baby. This gentle chiropractic tool is used to adjust the spine without the need for the patient to lay on a table.
Additionally, visiting a chiropractor while pregnant can help with the birth process. A pelvis that is out of alignment can restrict a baby's ability to get into the proper position for birth. And unfortunately, back pain often doesn't end with birth, and we are happy to help with post-natal chiropractic needs as well.
At Family Chiropractic Clinic of Saginaw, PLC we believe in supporting wellness to reduce pain even before it begins. It's our pride to provide Saginaw, MI with top quality chiropractic care. It's never too early to schedule an appointment with a chiropractor. Give us a call at 989-792-1718, and remember we're here to help you find health through every stage of your body's journey.